This issue came complete with a pair of red/blue 3D glasses and to use when reading the "3D Tips Supplement".
Incentive Software's "Graphic Adventure Creator Plus" was due in the coming month. This new version would allow games to use a disc-access system - similar to Infocom's games - which would allow much bigger adventures. I'm unsure if this was actually released.
Level 9 unveiled their latest adventure, "Gnome Ranger".
US Gold and SSI embarked on a partnership with TSR to bring games based on Dungeons and Dragons to home computers.
Ocean acquired the rights to "Madballs", a range of toy... balls.
Dynamics Marketing announced a new entry to its line of joysticks. The Competition Pro Extra would come with auto fire and an interesting slow motion mode.
Part two of "The History of the Shoot'em Up".
Zzap! editor Ciaran Brennan ventured to Thailand with a group of journos on System 3's dime to promote the upcoming "Bangkok Knights". At one point he was bemused when a group of waiters and waitresses started asking him for his autograph - turned out they thought he was Steve Davis.
The "Ten Things You Never Knew About..." feature this month was about Ciaran Brennan.
The Zzap! team spent a day out at Combat Zone (a paintball arena).
John Minson visited Microprose HQ and took a look at some of their upcoming games.
- "Renegade" Imagine - 90% Sizzler "I'm amazed at how similar this is to the arcade version. The title screen and music are virtually identical to the original, and the gameplay is very similar indeed."
- "International Karate+" Archer MacLean/System 3 - 93% Sizzler "Take the best bits of International Karate, add an extra opponent, a couple of new moves, new music and tweak the playability and you've got the incredible International Karate+."
- "Solomon's Key" US Gold - 86% "An original, satisfying and addictive variation on the platform theme."
- "Morpheus" Andrew Braybrook/Hewson - 90% Sizzler "A superlative program which could inspire a whole new style of game."
- "Starfox" Reaktor - 82% "Splendid space action with a good dose of strategy."
- "πr2" Mind Games - 84% "A novel puzzle game which provides plenty of entertainment."
- "Stationfall" Infocom - 87% "His [Steve Meretzky's] latest adventure creation is certainly on par with his previous work, incorporating atmosphere, humour and a plethora of puzzles which combine well to pull you in and let you live the life of a Lieutenant First Class for a while."
- "Accolade Comics" Accolade - No score given "Accolade Comics is the sort of game that is a brilliant experience for the first few plays, but once seen offers no real lasting appeal. This is a shame, as it is brilliantly implemented, extremely polished and genuinely humorous in parts."
- "The Dungeon: Alternate Reality" Datasoft - 85% "An excellent RPG which offers plenty of depth, variety and interaction."
- "Enlightenment - Druid II" Firebird - 85% "An entertaining and worthy sequel to Druid."
- "Quedex" Stavros Fasoulas/Thalamus - 92% Sizzler "The thought that has gone into the game's design is admirable - Quedex is beautifully designed, highly original and wholeheartedly recommended to anyone who thinks they can stand the pace!"
- "Joe Blade" Players - 92% Silver Medal "Joe Blade is a faily simplistic shoot 'n' search game, but it's made really enjoyable by the pleasant graphics and almost humorous gameplay."