This month in... Zzap!64 '88
A fresh faced 18yr old Paul Glancey joined the Zzap!64 team.
Julian Rignall and Steve Jarratt popped along to the 44th Amusement Trade Exhibition International to check out the latest arcade machines.
Sci-fi films and TV had taken a stab at many predictions of the future of computers over the previous 35 years, and Zzap!64 cast a critical eye over them.
Zzap!64 visited the offices of Digital Pictures to drool over their high power CG machines.
Part three of Mel Croucher's historic encyclopaedia of events that changed the computer word.
- "Troll" Denton Designs/Outlaw
- "ATF" Digital Integration
- "Power at Sea" Accolade
- "The Train: Escape to Normandy" Accolade
- "Strike Fleet" Lucasfilm/Electronic Arts
- "Skyfox II" Electronic Arts
- "Gauntlet II" US Gold - 81% "A great sequel which should appeal to Gauntlet fans who haven't tired of the genre."
- "Ikari Warriors" Elite - 89% "A tremendously enjoyable shoot'em up which comes into its own in the two-player mode."
- "Project Stealth Fighter" Microprose - 96% Gold Medal "An utterly praiseworthy combat simulator which ranks as one of the best."
- "The Hunt for Red October" Grand Slam Entertainment - 81% "A realistic, well-presented and playable simulation which could well appeal to arcade players in need of some substance."
- "Borderzone" Infocom - 84% "Borderzone is unusual in its subject matter, but Infocom implement it very well and succeed in giving the player a feeling of being there [behind the Iron Curtain in an espionage setting]."
- "Jinxter" Magnetic Scrolls/Rainbird - 83% "Jinxter is a large game with a multitude of tasks to attempt, a very impressive parser and an unusual plot."
- "IO" Firebird - 80% "A graphically superb shoot'em up which, although unoriginal, is both challenging and playable."
- "Apollo 18" Accolade/EA - 81% "An entertaining and detailed simulation which should appeal to space fans."
- "Predator" Activision - 90% Sizzler "Plenty of action, mayhem and destruction. A brilliant tie-in of an equally brilliant film."
- "I, Ball II" Firebird - 90% Silver Medal "A more than worthy sequel and a very entertaining game in its own right."
- "Battle Valley" Rack-It - 91% Silver Medal "Everything about this game is brilliant, from the amazingly realistic graphics, to the great soundtrack that pounds away throughout."
- "Zybex" Zeppelin Games - 93% Silver Medal "The programmers have managed to find just the right balance between frustration and the urge to continue, and as a result the addiction level is high."